Saturday, October 30, 2010

New Experiences Part II

If you missed part one check it out!

So this week I have been a little low on groceries and time, so I have been digging to back of my cupboards to find canned/packaged foods that I bought randomly, didn't know how to cook, and thus are just waiting for me to cook them up! Most of them are "easy" foods I bought for weeks like this one (midterms, student teaching, and so much studio work).

On today's menu? Polenta and some Crispy Chickpea Bites from Oh She Glows.


I tossed the polenta (pre-spiced with garlic and basil) with some Olive Oil, onions, and rosemary and sauteed it on low.





















At the end I added some lettuce to bulk up the polenta a bit. I think I cut my polenta chunks too small, and turned them over too many times. They turned into polenta mush instead of crispy polenta cakes like I wanted :( I will try again later this week! I still have 3/4 of a roll to eat.


The polenta crisped to the pan instead of to itself! Oops.


I put the polenta saute mix over some Spaghetti Squash topped with some Easy Spaghetti Sauce and some peas. I was all about bulking up this dish!


For college I think this is a gourmet lunch!

Now onto those Crispy Chickpea Bites from Oh She Glows.

I followed the recipe exactly but cut it in half to fit in my...


Mini food processor! But sadly this used gift from the BF didn't work :( So into the trash it went.

I used a potato masher and my own two hands instead. Low Impact! Who needs a food processor anyways...


I made a little mess but I still got them all mixed up.


Shaped them into little burger patties and then instead of waiting for 30-35 minutes for them to bake in the oven I just sizzled 'em up in a skillet with some olive oil.


Side note: why is my mint plant dying a slow miserable death? :(


Unlike the polenta these babies crisped up perfectly!


What lil' cuties.


I crumbled about 1.5 of them onto a wrap with some enchilada sauce, lettuce, and hummus. Yes I know it kind of defeats the purpose to make a veggie burger, only to crumble it but I didn't have any bread for veggie burgers!

I think for my first time making veggie burgers these turned out really well, next time I'm going to make some with a little more heft and flavor to them.

Happy Halloween! Hope you are celebrating, I'm going to a CD release show tonight with the BF, can't wait! I celebrated last night as well, I had a very low impact costume as well. I looked in my closet and found a collared pinstripe dress, paired it with black tights, red heels, and old Macy's name tag to make myself into a flight attendant. I also straightened my hair and pulled it back into a nice bouffant type style. I was super happy I had to spend absolutely NO money on this costume. Although I was a little jealous of my friends matching Teletubbies costumes, they all had on fun shiny leggings with a matching American Apparel zip-up, so cute!

How are you celebrating Halloween tonight? Or did you already celebrate/are not going to celebrate?

No comments:

Post a Comment