Thursday, October 7, 2010

Early Halloween

The red boots worked today. The breakfast did not. My stomach got into character a little early for Halloween and started acting like a growling, whining, monster around 10 o'clock.

My late lunch somehow turned out Halloweenish as well.

It started normal. With some beans cookin' up. And then the leftovers crept in. Leftovers that needed to be eaten included 1 Ezekiel Wrap and Butternut Squash.


I soaked dried garbanzo and black beans in water overnight because I have felt like my diet has been lacking in protein.

Beans beans the magical fruit to the rescue!

I have no idea why but my Garbanzo beans took about 20 minutes to cook up on the stove top and my black beans took about 50 minutes! The black beans still seemed a little crunchy. Bizarre(or maybe spooky?) especially since Garbanzo beans are twice as large as black beans.


Remember if you want to magical fruit NOT to make you toot remove the foam that boils to the top, and rinse your beans after soaking them overnight, and after boiling.

I use the leftover water from the overnight soaking to water my plants- the water has lots of great nutrients form beans. Your plants will thank you!


The foam I removed from my boilin' beans looked like cobwebs. Spooky.

I am missing many things from home but right now I am really missing lidded pots with real handles...


This lid burned me more than once. Demon lid.

More on what I did with the Garbanzo's later. Today's late lunch revolved around the black beans.



Halloween Burritos

Ingredients:

-1.5 cups cooked and cubed squash
-1 cup black beans
-1/2 onion
-2 cloves garlic
-1 TBSP Olive Oil
-1/2-1 TBSP Chili Powder
-1/2 tsp Cumin
-1/2 tsp Curry Powder
-1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (I would have added this but I couldn't find mine!)
-1/4-1/2 cup Tomatillo Salsa/Hot Sauce
~2 TBSP Canned Jalapenos and juices (I also would have added these if I had them!)

Directions:
Heat olive oil in skillet and add onion and garlic. Saute until the onion is translucent. Be careful not to burn! Add pre-cooked cubed squash and black beans. Take a potato masher and mash the squash and beans until desired consistency. (If I had a working blender I probably would have blended the squash + beans and then added to skillet) Stir in spices and and hot sauce. If I had had jalapenos I would have added less Tomatillo Hot Sauce and added about 2 TBSP chopped jalapenos and poured in some of the juices from the jar for flavor and moisture. (Keep in mind I LOVE spicy food and grew up on it!) Taste test, and see if you like it/need anything else!


I taste tested mine and it was way too dry so I added more salsa...taste tested again and added more chili powder. Cooking is super flexible, a dish is only done when your taste buds tell you it is.

But look how cute these burritos turned out! Orange and Black (Or gross looking depending on what colors you prefer your food to be). Now I know I am still in college...and far far away from having kids...but wouldn't this be the PERFECT healthy Halloween dinner for kids? I hated squash when I was little, especially smooshed squash...so maybe not. I sure had fun eating it though, definitely brought out the kid in me :)


Topped with tomatoes and avocados. I think the green topping of avocados adds to the Halloween flair.


I also added TONS of Salsa Lisa and sour cream. (little embarrassed to show how I drenched my burrito in salsa...but I just love this fresh salsa)


Enjoyed with a spooktacular cup...


and leftovers of a fall display and beautiful fall colors out my window...


And my favorite easy dessert- frozen grapes. Yum tastes like a grape Icee in my mouth...without high fructose corn syrup, red dye 40 and blue dye 20.


Maybe it's because it's October now, maybe it's because the hunger in my stomach during Spanish class today was truly frightening, whatever it was it was a very spooky Halloween inspired afternoon :)

Now all I can think about is what I should be for Halloween...when in reality I should be thinking more about El Día De Los Muertos...eeeek off to do Spanish homework I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment