Wednesday, October 27, 2010

New Experiences

Yesterday I had zero time in between studying to make healthy meals...but somehow I ate really deliciously all day long! The first thing I made...


Spaghetti squash! I've never tried it before and oh. my. gosh. I am never eating spaghetti again! Spaghetti squash is great for you (whereas pasta is basically a paste that is just begging to constipate you). At only about 50 calories for a cup I could probably eat the whole entire squash and call it a meal!

All I did was cut the squash in half and lay it in a pan with a thin layer of water. Roasted it at 375 degrees for 40 minutes and that's it! This was great because I didn't have to check on the squash while it was baking or stir it like noodles. Which meant I got 40 minutes of studying in while I waited(ok I was probably reading other blogs or doing something equally unproductive...)


Once the squash is done just take a fork to it and clean out the innards. It's actually really fun and looks pretty neat too. Way more fun than chopping up raw squash for roasting- that kills my arms, and I've come pretty close to chopping off a finger...or my hand on several occasions. Ohh the things I do for my love of cooking delicious food.

Once you fork out the innards of the squash it is all ready to be topped with any traditional spaghetti sauce (or non-traditional if that floats your boat).


The spaghetti squash was a new experience...but eating my own food from the freezer was another. Wayyy long ago I made Easy Spaghetti Sauce and I made too much on accident. So I nervously decided to freeze about half of the sauce.

In my head I kept telling myself lots of people freeze food and un-freeze and it tastes just fine. But I kept imagining myself re-heating this sauce an it tasting bland and freezer burnt. Well luckily for my lunch it tasted amazing! It tasted like it was just made today. Aaahmazing.

I think I may begin cooking in major bulk for freezing. On days like today where I have no time to prepare anything labor intensive it would be so convenient. I'm thinking of starting my freezing frenzy with soups, it would be so nice to have a bunch of hearty soups on hand. (Since lately I have started thinking that no canned soups are even remotely good for you.)


Of course I had some veg on the side of my amazing spaghetti. Thankfully I never get sick of raw veggies!

Now onto dinner. I made a healthy vegan quesadilla! I didn't know such a thing could exist. Usually when I think of quesadillas I think of dripping greasy cheese and a tortilla, which means lots of calories and fat and just about zero nutrients. Well take a look at this beauty...


What's in that incredible quesadilla? I started with a great tortilla that I found at the grocery store that has only 50 calories and have a nice basil spice to it. Then I spread Holy Land Jalapeno Hummus and kidney beans on half the tortilla. Microwaved for a minute and a half. Then I topped it off with avocado, tomato, and salsa. Best quesadilla ever! It's more like a veggie wrap but heating the hummus and beans made it nice and warm and gooey, just like a quesadilla. It was very comforting after the cold rainy day I endured today.


Lovely lighting for these pictures huh? Of course this dinner was enjoyed under the glow of my computer screen and desk lamp. After my mid-term TODAY I will be freeeeee of my Ancient Art History flashcards! (Well until next class period when I start taking notes on new ones for the final...) I will be cramming for the rest of the day...but I'm sure I'll have time for some spaghetti squash leftovers, YUM gotta feed my brain right?

Wish me luck!

Is there anything you're looking forward to being DONE with this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment