Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Egg Week Begins

In case you haven't been fervently following my blog, let me update you. I have no time in my life to grocery shop, or make complicated meals. Hopefully (for you and I both) after this week I will be able to be making fun muffins and savory soups again.

Yesterday on my way home from class I stopped into a little corner grocery store near my apartment. Now usually I try to stay as far away from this place as possible. It smells like cat litter and everything in the store is way overpriced. Sadly desperate times call for desperate measures. So I shopped strategically, tried to pick out the best looking produce and got foods that I knew I could stretch out to feed me for a week (combined with leftovers). What did I get? Bananas, apples, carrots, dozen eggs, and frozen broccoli. For about ten dollars, not too bad.

This week it is my goal to make it EGG WEEK! (Seriously the options with eggs are limitless). And it is also my goal to finally learn how to make a perfect omelet.

Now this entire week is also for my roommates Shannon and Kate, who do not know how to cook eggs. I'm going to show you how easy it is to cook eggs.

Now here are directions and my first attempt at Omelet making.

Step 1. Whisk together 2 eggs with about 1 TBSP water. Be sure to get all the big egg clumps out (unless you like chunks of white in your eggs)

Step 2. Pour egg mixture into heated pan with some olive oil. (I set my stove top burner to the medium setting).


Step 3. If your living off frozen foods (like myself, I keep them on reserve for weeks like these) microwave the frozen veggies for the middle of your omelet for about 30 seconds to unfreeze them.


Step 4. Add about 1/2 cup or less of veggies to cooking egg pancake. Feel free to add cheese or spices as well- I wanted to add spices but completely forgot!


Step 5. When the omelet cooked enough so it is firm use a large spatula to fold the omelet in half.


Step 6. Cook the omelet until it is cooked all the way through. Flipping as little as possible so it doesn't fall apart (like mine did...)

Mine turned out to be like a scrambled pancake eggs...but I'm not giving up yet! I have 10 eggs left to figure it out.

My Failures:

1. Too big of a skillet so the eggs got too thin.
2. Too many veggies stuffed in the middle.
3. Flipped the omelet too often.

For the other half of my lunch I made spaghetti squash hash browns! I spiced them with a little cinnamon. They turned out pretty good! But now I really crave real hash browns...


I had a perfect little lunch with a side of loose leaf white sunshine tea to warm myself up. It was a little chilly today and my sweatshirt was not warm enough.


I topped my eggs with some salsa (I wanted ketchup but I got grossed out that the 2nd ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. One of these days I'm making my own ketchup, I have a recipe, but not the ambition!) For the hash browns a poured a tiny bit of maple syrup on top.


Sweet and spicy lunch! Yes I know I'm weird but somehow this lunch worked...not like I really had any other choice.

Tomorrow this week will be almost halfway over, yipeeee!

Do you believe in the wonders of the incredible edible egg?

No comments:

Post a Comment