Saturday, August 28, 2010

Cabinet Dinner and #2 Breakfast


My first breakfast this morning with the boyfriend of oats mixed with 1/2 of an apple, blob of PB and sprinkles of cinnamon, nutmeg and honey just didn't hit the spot. I really missed the banana, nuts, flaxseeds, and raisin toppings I usually have to choose from!

And the internet was being exceptionally slow at my apartment this morning...


So I decided to treat myself to some Caribou Coffee. After I bought my medium roast coffee I forgot I wanted to try their new iced teas- they look delicious! And better yet they have no added sweeteners yumm just how I like it...maybe I'll have to buy a 3rd breakfast treat today. Anyways I got a peach raspberry muffin as well, its good but nothing special. Too sugary, light and fluffy. I really do like dense heavy whole wheat/bran style muffins best! Oh and with added nuts too, this one is missing that nice crunch. I ate about half and am saving the rest for tomorrows breakfast- when I treat myself I try to make it laaaaast(who am I kidding usually I scarf my treats down in about 5 minutes, I somehow inherited some super human self-will this morning...).

Dinner last night turned out to be a cabinet dinner. The boyfriend and I were planning on testing out some new vegan recipes...but laziness + cheapness got the better of me!


I still had lots of zucchini from the farmers market last week so I started with that and found canned tomatoes and spaghetti.


(I saved all these cans for a future craft project...or maybe to use as pots for plants?)



Easy Spaghetti Sauce


-1 zucchini sliced thinly
-28 oz. canned diced tomatoes
-2 cans tomato sauce
-2 cans tomato paste
-1 tbsp Garlic Powder
-1 tsp each of oregano, basil, and thyme
-Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Mix all the indredients together while heating on the stove. Stir and let it simmer for awhile for the spices to mix in. Then pour over pasta! Pretty simple, easy and cheap! usually I saute onion and mushrooms in my spaghetti sauce but I was all out :(



But it was still delicious! Very tomatoey and I <3 tomatoes and was craving marinara, so it worked out perfect.



Then we had a little bit of green tea with baked apples!


Sooo easy to make.

Baked Apples


Ingredients:
-2 apples
-2 TBSP Brown Sugar
-Sprinkle Cinnamon
-Sprinkle Nutmeg

Directions:
Core apples, not all the way through though, make a little bowl basically. Then sprinkle in 1 TBSP of brown sugar in each apple, the cinnamon and nutmeg. Let them bake in the oven at 350 for about 20-25 minutes or until they are to your preferred mushiness. Poke them with a knife to see if their done.

Voila! Instant dessert, I really wish some vanilla ice-cream or whipped cream would have been hiding in my cabinet to go with these!




Dinner doesn't always have to be a chore, or even well planned out. I decided to make peas and the baked apples about halfway through the cooking.

Well I'm off to celebrate a 21st birthday! One of my besties Kate's to be exact :)

What is your go-to leftover/cabinet dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment