Sunday, September 12, 2010

Vegan Fall Spice Muffins


I had a little bit of pumpkin...and some browning bananas...and a craving.

The result? Experimental muffins!


The dry ingredients.


Sliced up before mushing...


Yumm mushy.


The wet ingredients.


The chaos...


Yum batter :) Good thing these are vegan so I could eat as many as I wanted!

I made up this recipe by looking at some other muffin recipes. I couldn't find a good healthy and vegan pumpkin muffin recipe so I decided to experiment. I was very nervous they would be disgusting...


Vegan Fall Spice Muffins


Ingredients

Dry:
• 2 cups whole wheat flour
• 3 T brown sugar
• 1 t cinnamon and
• 1/4 t nutmeg
• ¼ t ginger
• 1/4 t sea salt
• 2 t baking powder
• 1/2 t baking soda
• ¼ cup raisins
• ¼ cup walnuts
Wet:
• 2 T chia seeds (or 2 T ground flax)
• 1/2 c Almond milk
• 1/2 cup shredded carrot
• ½ cup canned pumpkin
• 1.5 t vanilla
• 1/4 c maple syrup
• 1 cup mashed banana (about 3 medium bananas)
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Directions: Preheat oven to 375F. Take all the dry ingredients and mix in large bowl. Take all wet ingredients and mix in medium sized bowl. Dump the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well. Pop in the oven for 20-25 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean) and enjoy! Makes about 12 medium sized muffins.


I popped these in the oven and prayed they would turn out well...and then I realized I FORGOT THE BAKING POWDER! So I quickly took them out and mixed some in!


They were saved!



They turned out perfectly, hearty, pumpkiny, and complete bliss with a touch of honey on top. I am very happy with the results considering this was the first time I made up my own baking recipe. Maybe someday I will learn to back like how I cook and just throw in ingredients as I think of them!

Enjoy your Sunday :) I know I will even though I will probably end up cooking food in bulk to last me for the next week yippee.


What's your favorite kind of muffin?

No comments:

Post a Comment