Monday, September 20, 2010

Monday monday

"Monday, Monday, so good to me
Monday Mornin', it was all i hoped it would be
Oh Monday Mornin', monday mornin' couldn't guarntee
That Monday evenin' you would still be here with me"

Can you tell I don't have morning class? How lovely. My morning has been wonderful I woke up and went for a walk to collect sticks. Yes that's right collect sticks. For class. I love art class :) Let's hope my Monday evening treats me as well as this morning...

Then I decided to make up some pots of oats. I accidentally cooked my thick rolled oats way too fast resulting in this...


Oats burnt on the bottom of the pan. They are supposed to take about 25 minutes to cook...well I started my oats, then walked away to do my hair, came back to boilin' bubblin' oats. That took about 10 minutes to cook! Oops. Its ok they still tasted ok- very edible :)

I took my freshly undercooked oats and dumped them into my almost used up peanut butter jar.


Finally I got to try Oats In A Jar! Ever since seeing this onKERF(and a bunch of other blogs) I've been wanting to try it.


Sadly I didn't really enjoy my oats in a jar- my faul though.

Here's what was in the mix:
-Big Scoop of Thick Rolled Oats
-Banana
-Peanuts (forgot I had sunflower seeds)
-Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas
-Raisins
-Cinnamon and Nutmeg

Problems with this jar of oats- peanuts don't work on oatmeal, neither do Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas, I couldn't get a good bites of oats evenly mixed with the toppings when eating out of the jar :(

I think this was because my oats were cooked badly and stuck together instead of being creamy. Oh well better luck tomorrow with my oats! At least I got to eat them slowly at my own pace while watching the view.


So it looks like I'm drinking coffee with my oats right? Wrong. Really dark black tea then? Nope, wrong.

What is it? Blackstrap Molasses. So you're probably thinking umm what is that? And why would you drink it in the morning?


Blackstrap Molasses is a natural sweetener. It is unrefined so it has not been stripped of all of it's natural nutrients like other sweeteners. Along with this is has numerous other vitamins and minerals. Here are some of the nutrients it contains:

Iron for energy. Why eat red meat when I can have 1 TBSP of blackstrap molasses and get about 20% of the recommended daily intake of iron. Plus it provides more iron for less calories and is totally fat-free.

Calcium for my bones. 18% of my daily recommended intake of Calcium is in 1 TBSP of blackstrap. We all know calcium is a very important part of a healthy diet. Because I don't drink milk and don't eat yogurt or cheese regularly I think it's a good idea to boost my calcium intake.

Magnesium for absorption.
Magnesium helps regulate our body's absorption of calcium is is necessary to build strong bones along with calcium. 1 TBSP gives you about 10% of your daily recommended intake.

Mineral-Dense. 1 TBSP of Blackstrap molasses has 21% of your DV of copper, 27% of your DV of manganese, and 15% of your DV of potassium.

To read a full in-depth review of blackstrap molasses head to this profile of blackstrap molasses from World's Healthiest Foods.


Now if your don't want to drink it straight up there are many other ways to enjoy blackstrap molasses. Stir it into your coffee, or tea of sprinkle over your morning bowl of oats or cereal. Or if you think you are getting all your vitamins and minerals skip it! I just don't think I get enough of my vitamins at all.

Well I'm off to print off my Spanish homework and head to class in this gloomy rainy weather.

Do you love or hate Monday mornings?

No comments:

Post a Comment