Thursday, September 23, 2010

Healthy Comfort Food To-Go!

I've been having an enormous craving for mashed potatoes lately. Garlic Mashed Potatoes that is. Luckily I had some taters just waiting to be mushed.

Only problem? I had no milk and no butter. Growing up, mashed potatoes consisted of potatoes with lots of milk and butter whipped in. But that didn't stop me! I got to thinking and chopping and came up with a solution.



Healthy Dairy-Free Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients:

-3.5 cups water + 3.5 tsp vegetable(or chicken) bullion (or 3.5 cups broth)
-6-7 Medium-Small potatoes chopped into fourths (or smaller)
-3 cloves garlic
-2 tsp garlic powder (it wasn't garlicky enough!)
-Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:

Bring water+bullion or broth to a boil. Add potatoes and garlic cloves. Cook for about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain potatoes reserving broth. Add about 1 cup of broth back to potatoes and mash. Add more broth if needed. Taste test if not garlicky enough add garlic powder :) and add some salt and pepper to your liking.


Easy as can be to make! And soooo delicious, especially on a cold rainy fall night.

Mashed potatoes do not constitute a meal though. Thus...


I simply seasoned some tofu with Garlic Powder and Greek Oregano then sizzled it up in Olive Oil and leftover mashed potato broth.

(I specifically chose this photo of my sizzlin' tofu because you can see the spices starting to burn to the bottom of my skillet. No worries! It happens to the best of us! All I did was add a little more olive oil and I was saved. Cooking isn't about perfection, it's more about dealing with whatever is thrown at you. Don't stress about food not turning out exactly how you want it to, mine is usually slightly different than I expect, especially when using a new recipe/creating a new recipe.)


And microwaved a can of corn.


Since I had to make this dinner portable(I was rushing off to work) I decided to layer all my ingredients in a saved plastic to-go/takeout container! It was easy, fun and delicious.


Sealed tight and ready to transport.


An updated comfort food that still reminds me of home but fits my needs at college.


Seriously. Perfection. A dinner that's easy to make, healthy, comforting and most importantly PORTABLE. What more could a busy college student ask for?

What meals comfort you that are traditionally unhealthy? Do you wish you could healthify them? Or make them transportable?

No comments:

Post a Comment