Saturday, September 4, 2010

Homemade+ Leftovers

Despite the fact that my kitchen looked like this yesterday:


I was really really craving to make some hummus! My Mom and I went to French Meadow Cafe the other day and I ordered the "Healing Plate". Sooo delish it had squash, brown rice, and tempeh. Since it was about 55 degrees out I was craving those hearty fall flavors! The only flavor that was missing from the plate...HUMMUS! So I cleared a little corner of the kitchen to work in so I could have hummus with my leftovers.




All the ingredients...looks like a lot but it's really easy!


I used Angela's recipe for 50 Cent Hummus. It turned out perfectly, a little thicker and heartier just how I like my hummus! And perfect to go with my hearty left overs.

Oh She Glows 50 cent Hummus

Ingredients:

* 2 cups cooked chick peas
* 3 Tbsp. tahini
* 2 tbsp lemon juice (fresh is best, but I used some out of the bottle)
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 clove garlic, halved (I used garlic powder because I didn't have any fresh)
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 pinch paprika (to garnish, I skipped this)
* 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley (to garnish, I also skipped this)
* 3-4 Tbsp water (to achieve desired consistency)
* 2 Tbsp vinegar

Dump it all in a blender...and blend. It's that easy. I left some chunks of chickpeas in mine because I liked how it tasted.



Yumm perfect lunch. I'm glad my hummus turned out delicious because it will save me a lot of money. Hummus usually costs $4-5 and this cost about 50 cents to make and took very little time and effort. And this made a HUGE portion- probably about 2-3 times more than what I buy for $5 at the grocery store. Of course the best part of all is that I made it- so I can tweak the recipe to make it even more delicious ;)

Whats your favorite fall food?

No comments:

Post a Comment