Sunday, September 5, 2010

Spicy Pepper

The making of a dinner for one...



Don't forget to rinse quinoa otherwise it will be bitter tasting.


The spice lineup.






Spicy Black Bean Quinoa Stuffed Pepper

Ingredients:
-1 cup quinoa
-2 cups water
-15 oz. can of black beans
-2 grated carrots
-1-2 TBSP chili powder
-1-2 tsp cumin
-1 TBSP garlic powder (or 1 garlic clove)
-1 tsp paprika
-1 tsp cayenne pepper
-Louisiana Hot Sauce to taste
-1 TBSP homemade hummus
-Green Pepper

Rinse quinoa and bring to boil with 2 cups water. Add all spices. Spice measurements are approximate because I usually just add spices when I think I need them. I do lots of taste testing! While quinoa and spices boil down rinse the black beans and grate the carrots. When the water has boiled off and the quinoa is cooked through stir in the beans and carrot. Portion out enough of the quinoa mixture to fill a pepper (you will probably have enough to fill about 3 peppers- but I only filled one since I’m just cooking for myself. The leftover quinoa mixture will be nice over salads, in a wrap, or by itself). Mix in some hummus to the mixture and fill the pepper. Or you can do layers of hummus and the quinoa mixture. Turn the oven onto 375 degrees and cook for 30 minutes.



Lots of leftovers to make cooking this week easier...




Pop it in the oven and 30 minutes later you have...


Absolute perfection.





Super easy and delicious! And very filling- I only ate half the pepper because I was bursting. I love quinoa because it tastes good cold or hot. Which makes it easy to take to work/school and easy to turn into another meal. With school staring again on tuesday :( meals that make leftovers that last allllll week are going to become essential.

What is your favorite grain to cook with?

No comments:

Post a Comment