Saturday, September 25, 2010

Digestive Distress

The roommates and I have been feeling a little under the weather lately.

Like this:


When we want to feel like this:



With new schedules the "best" food choices have not been chosen...such as one day this week I felt awful in the morning so I only ate an apple for breakfast. Well I didn't make it home again until 3 pm. Ouch. Then I gorged myself on the entire contents of my cabinet and my hangry stomach ache became an overstuffed stomach ache.

I also realized that since I started blogging I have been eating a lot of different foods and trying out tons of new recipes. Umm a lot of bready and heavier (than I'm used too) recipes. I have forgotten to keep eating the foods that I know make me feel good! Mainly mega salads, mega veggie and fruit snack plates, and plain old steamed veggies. All the fiber in fresh fruits and veggies really helps keep your stomach moving along and feeling grrrreat. I realized I really miss these lighter meals! (my healified Mashed Potatoes and Hot Cocoa really did the trick I guess to cure my comfort food cravings)

Back to this I go!


This week I think I'm going to give myself a break from baking, or even intense cooking. I'm headed to the co-op today to stock up on a variety of fruit and veggies. Never fear there will be some new stuff to review, you won't only see plain steamed broccoli for the next seven days ;)

But if your like me and you want to feel good RIGHT NOW here are some great drinks to mix up to soothe your digestive distress. I always start with some cups of green tea but if you need a little extra help these are some great recipes. Better yet most of the ingredients will already be in your cupboard, so you can stay at home in bed rather than running to the pharmacy for some Pepto!

Get Rid Of Gas
-tsp olive oil
Drink on an empty stomach every morning.

Ease A Tummy Ache
-1/2 -1 tsp baking soda
-4 ounces water

(this one works like a charm, you will immediately burp and feel tons better. Don't worry about the exact ratio of baking soda to water, I usually just dump in the baking soda to any glass of water and it works great.)

Beat the Bloat

-1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
-1 cup hot water

Cure Constipation



Always keep some of this on hand...'nuff said.

OR

2x daily
-2 tsp apple cider vinegar
-8 ounce glass of water

Avoid Heartburn
-juice of 1/2 lemon
-pinch of salt
-8 oz glass of water

(never tried the last two, if you do let me know if they work!)

Soothe your tum tum in general
-1 tsp of honey
(works to soothe heartburn or an icky feeling stomach)

Last but certainly not least...



My favorite Pick-Me-Up (the Tarahumara way)
-1 tbsp chia seeds
-2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
-8 ounces water
I love the gel texture the seeds get in the water! This always makes me feel better (and by always I mean it has the 2 or 3 times I have drank it in the past couple weeks since buying chia seeds). Be warned though some people equate this to drinking snot!



I'm feeling much better already :)

As always though the best treatment is prevention. Eat your fruits and veggies and drink at least eight, eight ounce glasses of water a day. Oh and if your a hypochondriac like me you'll probably wonder if you have a bladder problem because you're running to the bathroom too much. Read this you're fine. You probably feel like you're going too often when you compare to others. Most people are severely dehydrated, just another example of why comparing is a horrible choice.

Drink up and enjoy your Saturday stomach-ache free!

Do you have any old "wives tales" remedies that really work?

No comments:

Post a Comment