Wednesday, November 3, 2010

French Toast: How-To

Start with your favorite bread. Or in my case whatever reserves you have in the freezer. (In a perfect world I would be making this with Cranberry Squash Bread or pumpkin bread) If your bread is frozen like mine, revive it in the toaster, if fresh don't toast.


Whip out your carton of eggs.



















Crack the egg and whisk the egg with a fork in a shallow bowl. Then if you have the supplies add milk and spices. (In a perfect world I would have had milk, in a semi-perfect world my roommates wouldn't read my blog solely so I could steal their milk for this french toast without them knowing.) I chose to add my spices at the end (In a perfect world I wouldn't have forgotten to add my cinnamon and nutmeg to the whisked egg...) Dredge the bread in the egg mixture, be sure to get every inch of the toast covered in egg.




















Slap the eggy toast into a heated skillet with melted butter or olive oil coating the bottom. (In a perfect world I would have been able to find my nice skillet so these pictures didn't look so scary in this crusty rusty old skillet.) I had extra egg so I just poured it on top of my toast. Wouldn't want to waste any of that protein!

Cook the toast on one side, and then flip. Unlike my failed omelet yesterday you can flip this toast as many times as you want without it falling apart. Cook until desired "doneness". I like my eggs solidly cooked (unlike my father, who's perfect world consists of raw egg protein powder shakes.) So I let my egg get a tiny bit brown.


Top toast with desired toppings. I chose banana, maple syrup, and cinnamon. (In a perfect world my toppings would have included craisins/raisins and walnuts/peanut butter too).


This was my very first time making french toast, and it turned out DELICIOUSLY. It was a really nice change for breakfast. It combines the sweet from the cinnamon and banana with the heartiness of the egg and bread to satisfy my hunger. Now that is a perfect breakfast even if it's not a perfect world.

What does your perfect breakfast consist of?

No comments:

Post a Comment