Friday, November 12, 2010

Inspired Living

It is all gloom and doom over here on the U of M.  Well, wait.   It is Friday!!  YAY!  Buuut I am still sick, and it is overcast and gloomy today. So I guess the weekend excitement hasn't really hit me yet.

On gloomy days like these I am so thankful that I love to surround myself with photography, quotes, art, and tons of pictures of my friends and family.


Recognize any of those pictures? That's right they're all mine! I got an e-mail for 75 free prints from Shutterfly the other day and knew I couldn't pass that opportunity up.  Every time I look at this board I can't help but smile, or at least feel a little proud.  I get better at photography everyday, I know I'm not the best right now but I still love these photos so much.  And that is enough for me to beam with pride ;)  Sometimes it's all about celebrating the small things, right?


I printed off all my happy summer prints, since I knew I would need the color to make it through winter.  I think BRIGHT COLORS are essential to my survival.


Look at lil' Sonic, what a goober.  Also do you like my beyond coal pin?  The University of Minnesota is trying to stop using any coal and switch to renewable energy sources.  Hooray!


Another low impact choice, old cans used for paintbrush, paint, pencil holders!  I've been meaning to decorate these, but I kind of like the plain aluminum. They're shiny and fun.


One of my very favorite quotes. I painted this in high school and was immensely proud of it when I finished it.  The pride has worn off, but I still think it's cute.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain


A quote that challenges me to stop whining, recognize all the amazing opportunites I have handed to me each and every day, and get out there and DO something!


Reminds me what I'm working toward, graduating in Spring 2012.  I love college but the stress isn't really for me.  I am so looking forward to being an art teacher, with a little organic garden, in a cute lil' town, with some cute lil' pets...ok I'm getting ahead of myself with the grandma future I covet ;)

(See the running legs to the right of the cap tassle? That's me running my favorite meet in high school cross country! Why was it my favorite? Because I pushed myself and didn't give up even when I really wanted to, I most definitely didn't PR, but it was a great feeling to learn that you can push yourself so much farther than you think you can.)



Last but not least- two inspirations. Steve Prefontaine and Salvador Dali.  I know I'm a weird one right?

Prefontaine's quote:
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. -Steve Prefontaine

Again reminds me to take every opportunity I can and make the most of it, instead of whining that I'm "stressed" or "tired".  And Salvador Dali is one weird guy who made some weird paintings.  I love them!  Reminds me to never be afraid to be myself ;)

So that in a nutshell is how I keep myself going on gloomy days.  My room is a haven of feel good pictures and quotes.  Well, and the foam topped mattress only encourages power naps throughout the day to keep me energized.

Another way I perk up on gloomy days? This one is obvious, FOOD.  Mainly CARBS that is.


This is a picture of a post break-up breakfast.  There were many like this throughout the week.  I had a great picture of some break-up french toast (with alllll the toppings) but I accidentally deleted it off my camera.

Yes, the BF and I broke up, no I am not devastated. 

It was definitely mutual, and we still want to be friends.  We don't know if that will work but who knows.  Even though I am not necesarily upset about the break-up I am still sad.  It's hard to admit when someone you really like just isn't right for you, and it is hard to lose a best friend.  But in the end I think the BF and I will be much better off without each others nagging ;)

Needless to say I have consumed triple my weight in carbs and sweets this week.  Even though this wasn't a "bad" breakup it was a still a break up and it still sucked.  So I let myself eat what I wanted, after all one week of unhealthy eating won't kill me (actually I still ate pretty well, mega salads, egg creationsDevil's Vegetarian Chili, and Lentil and Tempeh Soup) But now I am very happy to report that all I want to eat for the next 7,000 years is fresh veggies!

So here's to a fresh start! Veggies for the next month for me haha.  (Thanksgiving dinner doesn't even sound that great right now...who am I?!)


What do you do on gloomy depressing days to stay motivated? What do you eat to comfort yourself when you have the gloomies?

No comments:

Post a Comment