Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Struck Gold!


Look at all the loot I got at the Church Street Farmers market! All for the very low impact price of $15. For those of you who attend the University of Minnesota Twin Cities like me you seriously need to hit up this market. It's super convenient- right in the middle of campus. I walked to the market today and used...


My reusable produce bags! Worked like a charm and I felt better not using any plastic. Then I walked to the Seward Coop and picked up some other goodies. I used my new produce bags to buy sunflower seeds and semi-sweet chocolate chips- again worked perfect. Then I had a little pre-run snack...really I just could NOT WAIT any longer to dig into my hummus!


Took a 6-7 mile run, first run in over a week! Then I made this piece of perfection for dinner:


Shrimpy Greek Salad

* 60 frozen shrimp, thawed
* 1 cup dry quinoa, prepared as directed
* 1/2 cup peas
* 1/2 a pint cherry tomatoes
* 1 zucchini, chopped into 1 in pieces
* 1 cucumber, chopped
* 1/4 cup chopped mixed olives
* 1 small onion
* Lemon juice
* 2 tsp olive oil
* Fresh or dried oregano to taste

Cook shrimp, quinoa, peas, and zucchini in your method of choice. I just cooked the quinoa like the package tells you. The shrimp and veggies I just sizzled in a little bit of olive oil. I also sauted about half the onion and put the other half in the salad uncooked. Toss together with cucumber, olives and onion. Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil dressing. Sprinkle some oregano on top if you like. I ate mine with some delicious Holy Land Tahini Hummus.

(If you haven't already I really want you to click the quinoa link so you can read about how interesting of a seed, not grain, it is! If you've never eaten quinoa it tastes kind of like cous cous- but better.)


Yummmm I have to say that shrimp made me think twice about going vegetarian/vegan...maybe just pescatarian? We'll have to see!

Have you ever shopped at a coop or farmers market? Did you click the quinoa link? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment