Thursday, December 2, 2010

Lessons from Popeye


"Among the World's Healthiest vegetables, spinach comes out at the top of our ranking list for nutrient richness."  - World's Healthiest Foods

Even before reading this quote I have recently been seeing articles about Spinach and it's copious health benefits all over the place.  Then I saw that picture of Popeye- I think he is speaking to my heart with that toned rockin' bod, reppin' dark leafy greens, and saying some of my favorite words.

If we all lived like Popeye we might be a little bit healthier.

So I decided it was time to make a more dedicated effort to include Spinach in my diet on a regular basis. Easily said and, surprisingly, easily done as well.

Check it out...



















My breakfast consisted of my usual veg heavy scrambles I just added spinach to the mix.  Can I just say wilted spinach is soo delicious.  No idea why but I definitely think spinach tastes better wilted.  Some Costa Rican coffee on the side :)

Next up, early dinner.  I was having a mega salad of course.  But for once I decided to think about this one and make a really delicious one.  Not just my usual refrigerator dump.


 I went for COLOR.  Red, orange and yellow...


Then I came up with the brilliant idea to make a dressing.  Ohh yes I said brilliant.


Lemon Yogurt Dressing
Serves one

Ingredients:
1 TBSP Plain non-fat yogurt
1/2 TBSP Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp olive oil
1/4-1/2 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
Whisk together all ingredients.  Taste test, it will be very lemon heavy- but believe me it balances out in the salad and tastes amaaazing.


Citrus Spinach Salad
Serves One

Ingredients:
-Handful Spinach Leaves
-1 leaf Romaine Lettuce, chopped
-1/4 cup craisins
-1/2 orange
-1/4 yellow bell pepper
-Ricotta Cheese (would have used feta or blue cheese if I had it)
-Walnuts (I used peanuts...I have no walnuts)

Directions:
Mix together in bowl and top with Lemon Yogurt Dressing.


Sooo amazing.  These pictures are missing the peanuts and the ricotta cheese.  I thought of adding those after these pictures.  By then the sun had already set :( so the pictures aren't as pretty.


The dressing makes the whole salad.  This salad would be perfect to make in a massive quantity and take to summer BBQ!


Ahh there's a picture with some of the additions.  This salad was gourmet in my book.

I definitely succeeded in learning from Popeye's example today.  Now look at all these glorious health benefits I reaped...

Health Benefits of Spinach:
-Antioxidant and flavanoid benefits
-Anti-Inflammatory
-Anti-Cancer
-Promotes Bone health
-Excellent source of Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Manganese, Folate, Magnesium, Iron, Vitamin C, Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), Calcium, Potassium, Vitamin B6, Typtophan and Vitamin E.
-Very Good source of Dietary Fiber, Copper, Vitamin B1, Protein, phosphorus and Zinc.
-Good source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids, Vitamin B3 (niacin) and Selenium.
-Per calorie spinach provides more nutrients than any other food.

Despite having a brain overload from schoolwork I still managed to learn a little bit more about nutrition.  I'm amazed there's any room left in my brain haha.  Alright I'm off to catch up on my shows...you know...Glee, Parenthood and Modern Family.  Looks like I've got a busy night ahead of me, and our apartment just might be hosting girls night as well!

Do you eat spinach? And just for fun what are your favorite shows?

No comments:

Post a Comment